For over a century, travelers have flocked to Hawaii for luxury vacations, but it was only a few decades ago that similarly upscale lodgings took root on Maui. Now the Valley Isle is abloom in choices for well-heeled travelers and those willing to splurge on once-in-lifetime accommodations. Here are our favorite opulent oases in South Maui.
Feature Photo: Andaz Maui Facebook
TIP: Since most hotels have 4pm check-in. Ask for an early check-in.
If they can’t accommodate, they will let you store your bags so you can head to the beach!
Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort
This 15-acre, LEED-certified (environmentally friendly) beachfront property made Travel + Leisure magazine’s “It List” when it opened in 2013 and has maintained its chic, modern appeal ever since. In the Hyatt family of hotels, the Andaz offers luxurious guest rooms, suites and residential villas, along with cascading infinity pools, a 14,000-square-foot, full-service spa and a state-of-the-art fitness center. Guests can also enjoy two highly acclaimed full-service restaurants, i an on-site water activity center, access to championship golf and tennis facilities and Maui experiential tours.
- The three-level terrace of infinity-edge pools, ending at a fourth, lagoon-style pool just above above Mokapu Beach, offers plenty of room to spread out, with a separate “tranquility” pool for guests 18 and over on the other side of the main tower.
- Dinner at Morimoto Maui and Ka‘ana Kitchen are equally memorable.
Four Seasons Resort Maui
The first full-service Four Seasons resort when it opened in 1990 towers above Wailea Beach, one of the best strands of sand in South Maui. The 383 recently renovated rooms on the 15-acre compound include 76 lavish suites with koa wood furnishings and contemporary Hawaiian motifs; you’ll pass lush gardens and fountain courtyards on the way down to the beautiful beach. Everything is top-notch, from the two pools (including the adults-only Serenity Pool), three restaurants, spa and fitness center to the nightly hula in the lobby lounge and a world-class art collection. There’s also no daily resort fee to drive up your bill, but plenty of complimentary amenities, including activities for kids, families and couples.
- Lounge by the pools or on the beach and enjoy views of the uninhabited island of Kaho‘olawe and Molokini crater; staff will offer reef-safe sunscreen and bring you chilled treats throughout the day.
- You can also book a luxurious cabana for greater privacy and pampering.
Wailea Beach Villas
Winner of numerous magazine and online travel site awards, Wailea Beach Villas ranks among Maui’s finest oceanfront resorts. This exclusive, low-rise condo resort, offering rentals through Hyatt’s Destination Residences Wailea management company, sits on 11 acres off a quiet end of Wailea Beach. The private sanctuary features tropical oasis of waterfalls, exotic gardens and tiki-lit pathways, including multiple pools and hot tubs and a first-rate fitness center. The roomy condos boast top-line kitchen appliances, with Viking grill stations on private, glass-walled lanais; concierge service can help with groceries, private chefs or any other needs.
- Grownups will love the adults-only lagoon pool, while families can opt to splash in their own swimming hole steps from Wailea Beach and the coastal path.
- Shopping and dining are close at hand, thanks to the Shops at Wailea.