These hotels and vacation condo resorts on Kaua‘i may not offer the absolute cheapest rates, but they provide excellent value and bang for your buck. If you see a deal here you like — book it! Properties are listed from the North Shore heading down to the West Side.
TIP: Most hotels have a 4pm check-in. Ask for an early check-in.
If they can’t accommodate, they will let you store your bags so you can head to the beach!
Hanalei Colony Resort
- Kepuhi Beach may not be safe for swimming, but it makes for wonderful strolls and the sounds of crashing waves makes for great sleeping; there’s also a small pool on the property. Make a morning reservation to park at Haena State Park and you’ll have a terrific jump-start on hiking the Kalalau Trail or snorkeling at Ke ‘e Beach at the actual end of the road; the resort also provides shuttle service to Hanalei and other North Shore destinations.
- Rooms are on the small side, but the large grass courtyard by the oceanfront pool, lit by tiki torches, has room for kids to play, plenty of lounge chairs and a fire pit. The ISO hosts the highly rated Bull Shed Restaurant, popular for its steaks, prime rib and fresh island seafood, with easy access to more dining and shopping in Kapa‘a.
Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort
- The intimate, family-run luau is one of Kauai’s best. Cocktails and poke at the Crooked Surf pool bar also shine; don’t skip the fresh fish specials at Miami’s Hawaiian Fish House. It’s a short walk to a massive Longs drugstore (a great source of Hawaiian goodies to take home) and a half-mile to the newly renovated Coconut Marketplace for more shopping.
Kiahuna Plantation and Beach Bungalows
- Kiahuna Beach typically has good conditions for swimming, beginners’ surfing and snorkeling year round, although waves are higher in summer. Enjoy a variety of cactus, orchids and bromeliads in the resort’s Moir Garden.
Waimea Plantation Cottages
- While the cottages have modern amenities like flat-screen TVs and Wi-Fi, they radiate Old Hawai‘i charm with aloha-print fabrics and rustic furnishings; some have roomy ocean-view lanais with rocking chairs. The activities desk can help make the most of your time away from this oasis.