These hotels on Maui’s west side may not offer the absolute cheapest rates, but they provide excellent bang for your buck. If you see a deal here you like — book it! Here are our picks for the best value hotels on west Maui.
Feature Photo: Ka’anapali Beach Hotel
TIP: Most hotels have 4pm check-in. Ask for an early check-in. If they are unable to accommodate they will let you store your bags and you can head to the beach!
Ka‘anapali Beach Hotel
Next door to the Sheraton Maui and thus close to the underwater attractions of Pu‘u Keka‘a (Black Rock), the moderately priced Ka‘anapali Beach Hotel has long had a reputation as the state’s most Hawaiian hotel. The staff not only embrace the Hawaiian cultural value of hospitality, but also made many of the heirloom-quality artifacts in guest rooms and public spaces. In early 2021 it debuted the first phase of a $75 million renovation, including upgraded room decor,, new native plant gardens and a beachfront restaurant and Hawaiian voyaging academy, celebrating the achievements of the celestial navigators and outrigger sailing canoe crew members who first discovered these islands.
- Take advantage of the local expertise of Hale Huaka‘i, the hotel’s water activities hub, and learn the traditions of outrigger canoeing or the finer points of snorkeling from a friendly, safety- and sustainability-oriented team.
- Lavish Sunday brunches and nightly entertainment are popular with locals, too.
These high-rise luxury condo rentals of Kaanapali Alii are located on one of the best stretches of Kaanapali Beach, just a few miles from all the fun of Lahaina. Privately owned but managed by Hyatt’s Destination Hotels, the roomy one- and two-bedroom units (1,500-1,900 square feet) also lie a short stroll away from shopping and dining at Whalers Village, courtesy of the beachside boardwalk.On-site amenities include two recently renovated and enlarged oceanfront pools, a fitness center with yoga studio and three lighted tennis courts with complimentary rackets and balls. Concierge service will help line up more activities, too, while the free book and DVD library can help compensate for the rare rainy day.
- When factoring rates, consider there’s no daily resort fee.
- If you bring the raw ingredients, the resort’s grill masters will barbecue your meal at the beachfront picnic pavilion for free and clean up for you afterward. It’s a wonderful way to end the day as well as to save on meal costs.
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Fronting Ka‘anapali Beach, the spacious units in this high-rise condo resort, many of which are available as vacation rentals, range from 595-square-foot studios with a king bed and sofa bed to a luxurious, 2,650-square-foot three-bedroom, three-bath oceanfront suite. All have top-end appliances and generous lanais, too. The resort also offers a 3-acre “aquatic network” three pools with slides, a lazy river, five hot tubs and a sandy area ideal for little ones.
- Onsite amenities include the thoughtful services of Ho‘ola Spa and the locally sourced dining outlets of Duke’s Beach House, which often hosts live music, and ‘Aina Gourmet Market, known for its panini and espresso bar.
Did we miss your favorite hotel?
Let us know — email us at email@example.com or tag us @localgetaways_HI.