A moonlit beach and the right person by your side are all you really need to experience romance in the Aloha State. Still, these hotels offer the right combination of atmosphere and amenities—like adults-only pools or spas with couples’ treatments—for those looking to savor some special aloha with their sweetheart. Whether you’re getting “Maui’d,” engaged or just looking for a romantic interlude, the Valley Isle has a perfect spot for you and your valentine.
Feature Photo: Four Seasons Facebook
TIP: Don’t waste your day! Since most hotels have check-in until 4pm, be sure to ask for an early check-in.
This adults-only hotel features 72 one-bedroom suites designed to evoke the ultimate island-style pied-à-terre, spread across 15 acres on a secluded hilltop with sweeping views. Each one-bedroom suite has a separate living area, luxury linens, deep soaking tubs, kitchenettes and private lanais. Poolside cabanas with roomy daybeds entice guests to get to that book they’ve been meaning to read, while beach valet services at nearby Wailea Beach include reserved beachfront lounge chairs, umbrellas, bottled water and towels. Two Tesla Model X cars will shuttle guests around Wailea, but be back for sunset cocktails in the open-air Birdcage lobby bar.
- Couples should reserve the ultra-discreet Treehouse, nestled in mango trees with an ocean view, for a private, seven-course meal with wine pairings; the feast is prepared in front of you by resort chef Krista Garcia.
- Other private experiences include surf safaris and touring the island in a replica ‘57 Porsche; the latter comes with a gourmet picnic lunch and curated map.
- Afterwards, soak in the bathtubs using products made with kiawe honey harvested onsite.
Four Seasons Resort Maui
The list of romantic enticements at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, the first full-service Four Seasons resort when it opened in 1990, is almost as long as its official name. The 383 recently renovated rooms on the 15-acre compound include 76 lavish suites with koa wood furnishings and contemporary Hawaiian motifs; you’ll pass lush gardens and fountain courtyards on the way down to beautiful Wailea Beach. Seductive private cabanas line the adults-only Serenity Pool, a saltwater, infinity-edge, blufftop swimming hole, while the three excellent restaurants (including Wolfgang Puck-designed Spago) offer excellent tables for two.
- Book a couple’s massage in one of the spa’s open-air hale (thatched huts) by the sea.
- The resort specializes in over-the-top private dinners, including one after-hours at the Serenity Pool and another that starts with a scenic helicopter ride leading to former sugarcane estate on the North Shore.
- September through mid-November is “Couples Season,” with many less extravagant but still enticing activities designed for two.