Discovering hidden beaches, gorgeous rainforests and insanely good restaurants is all well and fine, but as most people come to realize, they’re even better experiences when they’re shared with our loved ones. Whether you’re planning a family reunion, milestone birthday, bachelorette party or work off-site, we’ve done the homework for you with this list of our favorite hotels on South Maui for group getaways.
TIP: Don’t waste your day! Since most hotels have check-in until 4pm, be sure to ask for an early check-in.
This adults-only hotel features 72 one-bedroom suites designed to evoke the ultimate island-style pied-à-terre, spread across 15 acres on a secluded hilltop with sweeping views. Each one-bedroom suite has a separate living area, luxury linens, deep soaking tubs, kitchenettes and private lanais.
Poolside cabanas with roomy daybeds entice guests to get to that book they’ve been meaning to read, while beach valet services at nearby Wailea Beach include reserved beachfront lounge chairs, umbrellas, bottled water and towels. Two Tesla Model X cars will shuttle guests around Wailea.
- Book the hotel’s private surf safari for your group, followed by sunset cocktails in the open-air Birdcage lobby bar and a delectable prix fixe dinner in the Restaurant at Hotel Wailea.
- Couples can reserve the ultra-discreet Treehouse, nestled in mango trees with an ocean view, for a private, seven-course meal with wine pairings.
Fairmont Kea Lani
Perched above secluded Polo Beach at Wailea’s southern end, the all-suite Fairmont Kea Lani embodies the genuine spirit of aloha and offers exceptional cultural, spa and dining experiences in a truly spectacular setting. Closest to the beach, two- and three-bedroom villas offer prime accomodations for larger groups or families, including a private furnished courtyard with plunge pool and barbecue grill. At the top of the hillside site, roomy suites (starting at 800 square feet) can also accommodate up to four and include a mini-kitchen in the foyer and large lanai.
- Don’t miss the complimentary outrigger canoe ride, dinner at Ko restaurant (drawing from the island’s multi-ethnic plantation heritage) or a tropical cocktail at the swim-up pool bar.
- The Maui-themed rain showers in Willow Stream Spa provide another unique experience.
Destination Residences Wailea
Large families and groups will really appreciate the conveniences of this collection of roomy condos—some of them quite luxurious, others more affordable—as well as the fantastic beaches of Wailea and Makena. The management company represents short-term vacation rental units in seven complexes, nearly all with ocean views: Makena Surf, spacious bungalows on secluded Po‘olenalena Beach; Polo Beach Club, at the end of the Wailea Coastal Walk; Wailea Ekahi Village, a 34-acre enclave of low-rise buildings on Keawakapu Beach; Wailea Ekolu Village, overlooking the ocean from the hillside entrance to Wailea; Wailea Elua Village, a 24-acre compound fronting Ulua Beach; and Wailea Grand Champions, an 11-acre resort along the fairways of the Wailea Blue golf course. The condos of 11-acre Wailea Beach Villas are among the most luxurious offered,right off Wailea Beach.
- The Polo Beach Club’s discreet location is next to Fairmont Kea Lani and its great dining and spa options, while family-friendly Wailea Ekahi offers easy access to moderately priced restaurants of Kihei as well as low-key Keawakapu Beach.
- Tennis players as well as golfers will love Wailea Grand Champions, close to Wailea Tennis Club.
- Adult travelers will love the grownups-only lagoon pool at Wailea Beach Villas.