There are thousands of hotel rooms, condos and vacation rental homes on Maui ideal for a family vacation, but these resorts in particular offer great beachfront locations and in some cases truly spectacular pools, as well as opportunities for cultural and educational activities for kids.
Featured Photo: Westin Maui
TIP: Don’t waste your day! Most hotels have 4 pm check-in. Ask for an early check-in.
If they can’t accommodate, they will let you store your bags so you can head to the beach!
Hyatt Regency Maui
A luxe lodging choice on the south end of Ka‘anapali, the Hyatt Regency Maui has been popular with families since opening in 1980. There’s room for everyone at this recently reimagined 40-acre property with 810 rooms and 31 suites, six free-form pools, seven restaurants, three lounges, a fitness center and the only oceanfront spa on the island. You’ll spot exotic birds throughout the property — kids love penguin feeding time. Don’t miss the engaging luau.
- The half-dozen pools, framed by waterfalls and lush landscaping, also offer a 150-foot lava tube water slide, a rope bridge, grotto, whirlpool and interactive children’s area, including a sandy-bottomed walk-in pool.
- Camp Hyatt offers Hawaiian-inspired crafts and activities for ages 3 to 12, with half-day, full-day and weekend “date night” options.
Fresh from a $120 million renovation that wrapped up in late 2020, this 12-acre resort in Ka‘anaapali has embraced its Hawaiian heritage with a redesigned luxury tower, upgraded complex of six swimming pools, a new wellness spa and four new dining outlets showcasing local culture and agriculture. The 217-room Hokupa‘a Tower offers an elegant hotel-within-a-hotel with ocean-themed decor and exclusive access to the second-floor, ocean-view Lanai lounge, offering Hawaiian breakfast bites, infinity-edge “cocktail pools” and cultural activities. Parents will appreciate that the well-designed Kids Club offers day and night programs for ages 5 to 12.
- Kids will enjoy the new interactive Keiki Splash Zone with spray jets, mini water slide, waterfall and kids pool, while older children and adults can zoom down the newly enhanced 270-foot water slide.
Napili Kai Beach Resort
The usually calm waters of reef-protected Napili Bay and its wide crescent of soft sand make Napili Kai Beach Resort an alluring choice for families in particular. The beachfront resort’s 163 accommodations include hotel rooms, studios and one- and two-bedroom suites, most with kitchen facilities, spread across 11 low-rise plantation-style buildings. Swimming pools tend to be on the small side, but there are plenty to choose from and the beach is only steps away. Unusual in not charging in resort fees, Napili Kai also hosts a long-running, weekly slack key guitar concert, putting greens, barbecue facilities, fitness center and intimate day spa; golfers and tennis players can head across the street to the championship facilities on the Kapalua Resort.
- Stand-up paddling and snorkeling in Napili Bay are first-rate, as are dining and views at the Sea House Restaurant, tucked on one end of the beach; the Kapalua Bay Trail begins nearby.
- Pick up complimentary beach gear at the poolside snack bar.
Did we miss your favorite hotel?
Let us know — email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us @localgetaways_HI.